.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Free and Low Cost Business Resources!

Monday, November 05, 2007

How much work do your customers have to do to get information about you?

I'm paranoid.

I don't like giving my complete name to strangers, much less my street address and phone number, yet I'm running accross an increasing number of etailers who require people to sign up with their first and last name, and complete street address before they can get to their newsletter.

Your newsletter is a tool to keep reminding people about your business...what you offer, how much it is, what's going on with your company.

Why would you limit access to it?

You want people to know about you, and you want to keep your company in their minds - that's the point of a newsletter.

When I see a newsletter that requires my street address, I don't sign up for the newsletter.

If I don't sign up for the newsletter, I'm not reminded about the company, so I'm not going to remember the site, and I'm not going to think about it next time I'm looking for the product they sale.

Of course this means I also won't purchase from them.

Don't limit access to your newsletter unless you have too.

After all if people sign up for it, they're interested in you.

Why not let them learn as much about you as they can?

Best Wishes For a Prosperous Business,

Sarah


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • Hello!

    Well, we have the same experience with newsletter subscriptions. But I should highlight that there are 2 perspectives in viewing newsletters:

    1-Newsletter is the tool to spread the word about our business

    2-Newsletter is the bait to get to know our prospects

    So depending on our objectives in providing newsletter subscriptions, the level of info needed also varies..

    But finally someone shares the same paranoia with me!

    Visit My Corporate Satire Blog!

    By Blogger Black Zedd, at 4:55 AM  

  • Black Zedd, thank you for your comment.

    How much information do you require before you allow people to get your newletter, and how does it vary based on your objectives?

    By Blogger Sarah, at 10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home